Getting dog parks built takes a lot of support! Luckily for us, the South Loop Dog PAC (which stands for Dog Park Action Cooperative) has taken the new 16th & Wabash dog park under it's umbrella, which will make getting support for the new park much easier than if we had gone it alone. But what is a dog pac?
A dog pac, or park action cooperative, is a membership based all volunteer, non-profit group of dog lovers that helps advocate for our four legged friends in the city. They're headed by an 8 member board Here's the South Loop Dog PAC's mission
The South Loop Dog PAC advocates for and supports responsible dog-ownership in Chicago’s South Loop. We provide and maintain safe off-leash areas for dogs and humans to socialize in area parks, and we work to encourage healthy and mutually beneficial dog-human relationships in the community.
Today, the SLDogPAC is responsible for maintaining the South Loop DFAs, as well as planning and financially supporting any improvements or changes to the dog parks. In addition, the SLDogPAC continues to promote responsible dog ownership, providing socializing opportunities for our dogs and their people, as well as educational information.
So what do they do? In 2011, The South Loop Dog PAC:
- Purchased 20 tons of gravel for Grant Bark Park and installed the 250 feet of gravel retaining mesh in the park.
- Requested repairs at Coliseum Park Dog Run to get the drains leveled and fences repaired - which are underway now.
- Organized clean up events at both parks
- Worked as a liaison with the Chicago Park District for the creation of our new dog park to be created at 16th & Wabash Avenue.
- Installed a bulletin board at Grant Bark Park
- Continuously refilled the poo bag dispensers at both parks - 50 times - which is like 20,000 bags!
As you can see, the South Loop Dog PAC is instrumental in creating and maintaining dog parks in Chicago. If you see their value as much as we do - AND want to help us get our dog park built, please consider becoming a member of the South Loop Dog PAC. Membership is as little as $40 and comes with a free t-shirt! Your dog will thank you.